The P1 visa is designated for entertainers, circus artists, and athletes who are coming to the US temporarily to perform at a specific competition or event. An athlete who wishes to remain in the US for a longer period of time should apply for an O1 visa.
Entertainers, circus artists, and athletes who wish to qualify for the visa must show two of the following:
- A written consultation by an appropriate labor organization;
- Significant participation in a prior season with a major United States sports league;
- Participation in international competition with a national team;
- Significant participation in a prior season for a US college or university in intercollegiate competition;
- A written statement from an official of the governing body of the sport which details how the alien or team is internationally recognized;
- A written statement from a member of the sports media or a recognized expert in the sport which details how the alien or team is internationally recognized;
- The individual or team is ranked, if the sport has international rankings; or
- The alien or team has received a significant honor or award in the sport.
Spouses and children of the P1 visa holder may obtain a P4 visa to enter and remain in the US. The P4 visa holder may attend school but if he or she wishes to work, he or she must change his or her status to obtain a work visa.