Adjustment of status is the final step to obtain permanent residency (green card). An individual can apply for permanent residency in the following situations:
- a fiancé(e) who entered the US on a K1 visa;
- an beneficiary of an approved asylum petition;
- an individual who wishes to currently file an employment based petition or is the beneficiary of an already approved employment based immigration petition (EB1A, EB1B, EB1C, EB2, NIW, EB3, EB4 or EB5 petition);
- a spouse of a US citizen;
- a relative of a US citizen or permanent resident whose priority date is current;
- the spouse or child of an abusive US citizen or permanent resident; and
- a continuous resident of the US since before January 1, 1972.